A “Frog” and a Snowman

I have made quite a bit of progress on my Joey snowman ornament.  At my last post of Joey, he was just a forehead, half a cheek, and half a nose.

1435632489644

Here he is now with two eyes and his nose finished.

1438565388384

If you look carefully, you will see a white pile of threads to the right.  That is what I had to remove between the cheek and eyes because I had stitched it incorrectly!  ARGH!!!  I hate un-stitching because I’m not paying close attention.  Unfortunately, I have been doing quite a bit of that lately.  Usually, I catch myself early and only need to remove a few stitches, but lately, it has been a frog-fest.

I am not stitching as fast as I need to complete my goal of finishing all 5 snowmen before Christmas!  I need to pick up the pace and get to stitching!

 

 

 

 

August YOTA Update

It’s time for YOTA again!  Well, YOTA time has actually come and gone, but I have a really good excuse for being late!  I was on a roll this weekend and didn’t want to stop stitching to post!  Unlike in months past, I pulled out my TLOTDT project several days before the post deadline of Saturday.  I was determined to stitch more than just a few hours on this project this month!

This is what I started with from last month.1436067257493

And this was my progress after a few days of stitching this month.

1438474311853

It doesn’t look like much because most of the stitching was done in the white petals, but there is some tan back-stitching in there also.   I did get to move on to one of the leaves and was super excited to stitch with something other than white or cream!

And then I realized something.  I stitched the green incorrectly!!!!  UGH!!!  I accidentally stitched it using two threads instead of three!!!!  Frogging time!  (You can see my frogged threads in the pic below.)  After ripping out my progress in the leaf and re-stitching using the correct number of threads, this is what it looks like now.

1438565658412

I finished the rest of the leaf and did a little more back-stitching in the petals.

I am super proud of my progress considering my stitching on this project has been pitiful these last few months!  This is not a project I usually enjoy stitching, but it was a pleasure seeing progress this weekend.

 

 

 

 

A Butterfly Beginning – Artemisia

One of my goals this year is to complete two or three butterflies from a set of patterns I have had forever.  They ran in several issues of Stoney Creek Cross Stitch magazine in 2007.   I have had them flagged as a project I wanted to complete for years now and during the last few months of 2014 I got the supplies and completed one of the patterns.  There are a total of 12 butterflies, and they were intended to be made into an afghan.  Here is a picture of the completed afghan from the magazine.
1420401705196

I do not intend to complete all of them.  I only want to do a few (maybe 8 or so) and then frame them individually to hang on the wall.  I am thinking simple black frames or maybe dark brown.  But that will be a long way off, so I have plenty of time to figure that part out.

I am stitching on 28-count Monaco White.  I didn’t spend a lot of money on the fabric (bought from JoAnn’s I think) for these projects because I was being lazy and didn’t want to drive all the way across town to purchase from my local cross stitch store.  I normally don’t stitch on 28-count either.  I usually stick to my preferred 36-count but will mix it up with some 32- or 40-count sometimes.

This is a picture of the one that I have completed.  I did make one small modificiation to the pattern.  I omitted the lettering that identifies the type of butterfly which in the pattern, was centered between the wings at the top and bottom. There were also a few backstitch lines that sort of “framed” the pattern that I left out.

1420402027503 The name of this one is Marsyas Hairstreak.  I just love the blue/green colors!  I had to start with this one because blue is my favorite color.

The next one on my list is the Artemisia/Old World Swallowtail.   The magazine didnt’ have close-up pictures of the finished project – just the afghan – and I can’t get a good picture of it.

Here is my progess after two nights of stitching after work.

1420400890910

Here is what the pattern looks like.  It will end up being mostly black, grey, and yellow.  The blue on the picture is my highlighting the stitches I have completed.  This helps me see where I am in the pattern and helps eliminate mistakes.

1420401068140

But, UGGGHHH!  I noticed that I did not read the pattern closely enough.  I thought one of the symbols was listed as grey, but it is a tweeding of two colors, grey and yellow.  So, I had some frogging to do!  I hate figuring out I made a mistake and then having to undo all that work I just did.   Oh well, c’est la vie!  At least I caught it early.  Moral:  READ YOUR PATTERN CAREFULLY!
1420403835076  1420404065120

Here is a close-up of the project after stitched a little more and then re-stitched the frogged area in the correct color.

1420429838863

That’s all for today.

Happy Stitching!

-A